Just a comparison of how much Caleigh has grown since birth. She's just three days shy of 3 months old. She's a whopping 6 pounds 7.2 ounces & 18 inches long today.
Caleigh has been feeling better since Saturday. Yesterday, The doctors put a picc line in her left arm and it will serve as the 'IV food' line until it doesn't work anymore or it gets infected. The picc lines get infected easier than the central lines but it is a temporary solution. The area where the central line had been is looking a lot better. Less red and a lot less swollen. Early Sunday morning Caleigh started having bloody stools and it hasn't really stopped. The blood is dark which means it is old blood. Her belly got really huge again. So they stopped her feeds and put the suction tube back in to get the air out of her belly. Eric and I stayed at the hospital all day on Sunday and right as we were leaving Caleigh had a 'Brady' episode where her heart rate dropped, her o2 saturation dropped and she was basically a shade of purple-blue. They gave her some oxygen and she recovered fine. Obviously, this scared us. We had to leave during shift change so we came home, I pumped, slept an hour or so and then went back to the hospital and stayed all night with her. Eric started driver school for work today so he came up around 5am and sat with us before going in. She had a better night and no more episodes of not breathing, thank God. Today her belly looks better and her central line site is clearing up. All the preliminary lab work has come back negative for infection. We are still waiting on the cultures which they let 'grow' for a few days to see if anything is there. No signs of Necrosis either, it a miracle!
So Dr. Vaughn, the best surgeon ever, came by and talked to us this afternoon. He thinks she did out grow the central line and it just 'popped' apart inside her. He isn't going to put another CVL in unless they use up all her picc line spots. He thinks that the belly being distended and the bloody stools are a reaction from the stress on her body. It would have happened sooner or later but the line getting displaced stressed her body enough to show us the belly problems. She had been tolerating the breast milk, but had started having loose stools. Basically, Dr. Vaughn thinks that Caleigh's intestines can't handle the complexity of the breast milk. Case in point the bloody stools. A lot of short gut babies can't break down all the elements in breast milk and we knew this going in. So we are going to wait about a week or so to let her rest and then we will start an elemental formula. I'm really sad about this and actually cried because I won't be able to breastfeed Caleigh or give her any of the milk I have been pumping for almost 3 months. But, It's best for her and that is all that counts. Plus I can donate tons of milk to preemie babies all over the country who will grow strong because of it.
So, no surgeries right now, mom feels better about the decisions that have been made and Caleigh is feeling physically better. Today was a good day & I'm ready for some sleep.